I'm Brahman



I'm Brahman. In the house we have no maid.
At home I do the only thing I can:
I throw away my bath water and fill the jug;
I take no towel; and I always spill.


She tells me these are no a husband's chores.
I do feel helpless and reproach myself
When she is spoiling my impracticability
-- ingrained -- with the magic of her cookery.


And ever do I worship Him who manifests
himself as a magic show of cosmos, art and
science:


When she is handing me my plate of
porridge,
-- I notice how her fingertips are chapped --


I'm burning with a single adoration for
Sun, Bach, Kant; and those calloused hands
of hers.




Johan Andreas Der Mouw (1863-1919)
translated from Dutch by Victor van Bijlert

1 comment:

benjamin said...

I just came across this poem which my teacher has translated few years ago. I didn't know about der Mouw, he seems to have been a nice guy with disdain for philosophers who attempted to systematise what for him were "indefinable moods" as found in the Upanishads. I just loved the message of this poem.
Simple life, inadequacy, beauty-in-ugliness, love, and divine show at the same time. Excellent.