On Confusion

The following are after thoughts on a conversation with Mike, who was trying to explain that doubt in no way could convince me as experience-and-experiencer that I am not that.

Ultimately all thoughts, whether insight or confusion, are experience-in-awareness, hence they are what I am: experience-and-experiencer. Whereas insight carries the message "I am all that arises and that which sees what arises", confusion carries the message "The body hurts, so I am the body and must save myself from the rest".

To Mike, the latter cannot confuse the self, because it is part of the experience and therefore it is a confirmation that I am the experience-and-experiencer. But I do not agree, because the insight "this confusion is part of what I am and the proof ect." is also another thought arising in this experience-and-experiencer.

So yes, confusion cannot confuse the sense of self IF there is another insight to counterbalance it. But what if the insight does not arise? Awareness alone simply is aware of confusion, it doesn't take part in it. But awareness is brought in evidence in the experience only thanks to insight. If that insight does not arise, and if confusion does, then awareness remains invisible.

The switch between confusion and insight, is a change of experience, of mind. So I see only two possibilities: either there is no guarantee of "full and final" insight, or all insight and confusion is equally invalid and irrelevant to knowing what the self is.

No comments: